Sysadmin Thoughts

When Too Many Users have Accounts on a Domain Joined Windows Computer

When I started my technician/sysadmin job one of the first things I wanted to do was re-image and re-deploy our fleet of netbooks for the students to use as there were a few SoE’s and even Windows versions in use. I dumped Windows Deployment Services (WDS) in favor of a live Clonezilla server using PXE which allowed me to configure as many computers as I could fit on my workbench all at once (our WDS server was broken and could apparently handle only three consecutive computers before failing). Part of my workflow involved some PowerShell scripts I would leave in the local Administrator’s desktop which I ran to rename the computer, join the domain and separate functions to install WiFi certificates and add the WiFi network. As you could imagine they were like my illegitimate Lenovo children and I’d fix them up when they got injured or needed some attention. I must have done a good job of keeping them going because two years later an issue we didn’t consider had reared its head for the first time – the storage on the netbooks started to hit 100% usage causing all sorts of issues from failure of students to log in (each has their own Active Directory account) to straight up system crashes as the memory filled up (can’t page to the disk when it’s full). 120GB is not nearly enough for a shared Windows device in 2020.